Grilled tandoori chicken is a twist on the traditional Indian roasted chicken recipe. These grilled chicken thighs are juicy, flavorful, and easy to make!
Typically, tandoori chicken is cooked in a tandoor clay oven (the same you would use to make naan). But since I don’t have one of those, I cook my version over a charcoal grill. You can use a gas grill, too, but charcoal will give it a little more characteristic flavor.
Grilled Tandoori Chicken
Luckily for you, the simplicity and deliciousness of this dish will totally make up for its lackluster appearance, because this stuff is amazing. So good.
The grilled tandoori chicken recipe calls for an all-day marinade, and while that is awesome, just a few hours is good and flavorful as well.
How spicy is tandoori chicken?
Like a lot of Indian food, this grilled chicken does have a bit of spicy flavor. The chicken marinates in yogurt mixed with Garam Masala and a host of other spices, including spicy red pepper and paprika.
The flavors are good, but not overly intense for kids. And pairing it with the cooling dip helps, too!
How do I serve this to my family?
We love this tandoori chicken recipe and will be making it a ton this summer. Oh, and the kids gives it their seal of approval as well – anything you can dip is a gold star! Try dipping this in homemade cucumber raita!
Food tastes better when its shared with the ones you love!
Your shares are how this site grows and I so appreciate it! Do you know someone who would love this recipe? I would love if you shared this on social media!
There’s nothing I love more than seeing you make my recipes! If you enjoy this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a star rating! Thank you!
Subscribe to my email list to get all the extra tips, tricks and bonuses!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Yogurt dipping sauce:
- 1 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a large ziplock bag, combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Seal, smooth to mix the marinade and coat the chicken evenly and place in the fridge to marinate for at least two hours and up to 8 hours.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Cover and chill at least 10 minutes.
- Grill chicken 7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Enjoy!
- Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light Gluten Free Cookbook, 2011
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 890mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 38g