Grilled tandoori chicken is a twist on the traditional Indian roasted chicken recipe. These grilled chicken thighs are juicy, flavorful, and easy to make!
Typically, tandoori chicken is cooked in a tandoor clay oven (the same you would use to make naan). But since most people don’t own one, this version cooks over a charcoal grill. You can use a gas grill, too, but charcoal will give it a little more characteristic flavor.
The simplicity and deliciousness of this grilled chicken thigh recipe will totally have your family hooked! You won’t ever need take out again after you make this recipe!
How to make Grilled Tandoori Chicken
For the full set of directions, make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade and place in an air tight container in the fridge.
- Marinate for between 2 and 8 hours.
- Grill chicken over medium heat for 7 minutes per side, or until cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
How do I serve this to my family?
We love this tandoori chicken recipe! It is a great grilling recipe to love all summer long. Oh, and the kids gives it their seal of approval as well – anything you can dip is a gold star! Try dipping this in homemade cucumber raita!
How spicy is tandoori chicken?
This grilled Indian chicken isn’t overly spicy. It has lots of flavor, but it doesn’t have a lot of heat. The chicken marinates in yogurt mixed with Garam Masala and a host of other spices.
The flavors are good, but not overly intense for kids. And pairing it with the cooling dip helps, too!
If you want some heat to it, add in 1 teaspoon of chili powder.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below!
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- In a large ziplock bag, combine all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Seal, smooth to mix the marinade and coat the chicken evenly and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Grill chicken 7 minutes per side, or until cooked through to 165 F degrees. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 278mgSodium: 945mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 59g
Nutrition information is an estimate and is provided for informational purposes only. For the most accurate information, please calculate using your specific brands and exact measurements.