This easy sugar snap peas recipe is an amazing easy, quick and delicious side dish recipe the entire family will love. You only need a few minutes and a few ingredients like ginger, orange zest, and fresh mint to make this flavorful and vibrant side dish that will easily pair with any Asian themed meal you serve.
For me, side dish recipes need to be amazingly easy – mostly because I often forget about them until the last possible second. So quick and easy it needs to be, but that doesn’t mean that it should be boring, either. I love this easy sugar snap peas recipe because it takes literally minutes (5 to be exact!) but it is still bursting with fresh and vibrant flavor!
The combination of orange, ginger, and fresh mint means these sugar snap peas totally sing, but it also won’t overpower any main entree you choose to serve it with – so its perfect to accompany Orange Chicken or Mongolian Beef!
How to Make Orange Ginger Sugar Snap Peas
Orange Sugar Snap peas are a snap to make (ha, get it?!) You only need a few minutes for these snap peas! The first step is deciding how you want the texture of these peas to be. The way I have the recipe means that the sugar snap peas are crunchy and still have some bite to them, because that is the way my kids prefer them.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a non-stick saute pan.
- When the pan is hot, add the sugar snap peas into the pan and allow to crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of ginger and the orange juice and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until the ginger is fragrant and the juice has been absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Season with a pinch of sea salt , fresh cracked pepper, the fresh chopped mint and the orange zest.
- Serve immediately.
If you prefer softer sugar snap peas:
- Simmer the peas in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain the peas from the hot water.
- Place the sugar snap peas in ice cold water for 1 minute before placing them in the sauté pan.
How Your Kids Can Help You Cook
One of the best ways of getting kids interested in eating new foods is to have them help you make the meal! The more involved they are, the more likely they will want to try it. Here are some great age appropriate ways to get your kids in the kitchen with you to make this easy sugar snap pea recipe:
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you wash and sort the sugar snap peas and pick the mint leaves off of the stems.
- Kids aged 4-6 can help you grate the orange zest and squeeze the orange juice
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you sautéed the sugar snap peas
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
- 3 Cups Sugar Snap Peas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed Orange Juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- pinch sea salt
- Zest from 1 Orange
- 1 Tablespoon chopped mint
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and heat until hot.
- Add the sugar snap peas to the hot pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the begin to crisp on the edges, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the grated ginger and orange juice and cook, stirring frequently, until the orange juice has been absorbed and the finger is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Garnish with the orange zest and the chopped mint.
- Serve immediately.
Make sure your ginger is grated or purred. Pieces that are too large can be "hot" for kids.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 40mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g
Interested in adding more Asian flavors to your weeknight meals but not sure how to make it actually doable? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Asian Cuisine for easy tips and recipes that are weeknight and kid-friendly and will help your weeknight meals be a win!