Well, not only can you, but its pretty good as well.
Sourdough Pie Crust (pate brisee)
How to make the best sourdough pie crust:
- Start with a hot, to temperature oven. Allow it to be at temperature for at least a full 10 minutes (and check with a thermometer) before placing your sourdough pie crust inside. Then reduce your temperature to finish baking. This helps to achieve a crispy crust that is cooked through all the way.
- Use a rack on the lower 1/3 of the oven to help the crust cook all the way without browning too much.
- Keep on baking until the juices are bubbling! Underbaking a pie is not good.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting into it. You need at least 2 hours.
Spiced Sweet Cherry Pie Filling
Love Sourdough? Check out over 60 great sourdough recipes, including other fun dessert sourdough recipes:
- Sourdough Coffee Cake with Blueberries – This sourdough coffee cake recipe is an easy way to use sourdough discard, and a great way to have breakfast! The subtle sourdough flavor and juicy blueberries combine well in this tender and moist cake.
- Cinnamon Spice Sourdough Biscotti – This lovely spicy biscotti recipe is a fun way to use your sourdough discard!
- Sourdough Beignets – These pillows of doughs have a slight sourdough tang that works perfect here, and the texture is awesome. Pillowy and soft, with a slight chew.
- Sourdough Kolaches – these yeasted thumbprint cookie with pumpkin butter and topped with a streusel are a fun sourdough dessert recipe to make
- White Chocolate Cranberry Sourdough Blondies – This starbucks copycat recipe is a fun winter bar recipe to make with your sourdough starter.
- Sourdough Chocolate Cake – This decadent and rich sourdough cake recipe is a showstopping dessert!
- Mega Chocolate Sourdough Brownies – These sourdough brownies are ultra fudgey, and rich. They are easy and quick to make, so you can enjoy them whenever you have sourdough discard to use. A great recipe to use your sourdough starter!
Sourdough Pate Brisee
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP toasted wheat germ
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, cut into 1/2" chunks and frozen for a few minutes
- 1 cup 100% hydration sourdough starter, fed
Twisted Sweet Cherry Filling
- 4 cups bing cherries, pitted
- 2 TBSP orange juice
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 TBSP orange zest
Sourdough Pate Brisee
- In a bowl whisk together the four, salt and sugar.
- Dump in all the butter and using your fingers rub and smash the butter into the flour, as fast as you can, so that it resembles sand with some clumps of butter still left.
Add in the sourdough starter and fold in until it just starts to gather together in large clumps.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Using the heel of your hand rub the dough along the counter, to smear the butter through the dough.
- Gather the dough into two pieces, flatten into discs, cover with saran wrap and place in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Lightly dust the counter top with flour and take ONE of the crusts out of the fridge.
- Place it on the counter and roll it out until it will fit in the pie dish (you will want a bit of an overhang.
- Place the crust in the pie pan and place it in the fridge while you roll out the other crust.
- Roll the other crust out as large as you did the first one, but this time use a pizza cutter to cut out 8 nice sized strips.
- Pull the pie out of the fridge and dump the filling in (recipe is below).
- Place four of the strips on the top of the pie, evenly spaced.
- Working from one side at a time, overlay the four remaining strips, weaving them over and under.
- Rip off the excess of the strips, smash the ends into the bottom crust, and fold them over and under each other.
- Crimp the edges.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
- Tent with foil, lower the oven to 350 and bake for an additional 35-45 minutes.
Twisted Sweet Cherry Filling:
- Mix together the cherries, orange juice, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Then add in the almond extract and orange zest.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 4gSugar: 32gProtein: 6g