Mediterranean chickpea salad is an easy, flavorful side dish packed with fresh produce, chickpeas, feta cheese, olive oil and lemon juice.
This chickpea salad recipe is one of my favorite side dishes! It is quick and easy to make, it’s packed with fresh produce and has simple and bright flavors that go together perfectly.
Here is what you need to have on hand to make this recipe:
- chickpeas – also called garbanzo beans. You want to use canned chickpeas that have been rinsed and drained.
- cucumber – any variety will do, just dice them into bite sized pieces
- cherry tomatoes – I just used red, but rainbow colored ones would be so pretty, too!
- bell pepper – you can use any color, but I think yellow makes the prettiest salad!
- fresh parsley – don’t substitute with dried!
- feta cheese, crumbled. You could also substitute this with a creamy goat cheese!
- onion – a sweet, white or yellow onion
- lemon juice – you will want to use fresh lemon juice and not the pre-bottled stuff
- extra virgin olive oil – Use a well flavored one
- sea salt and black pepper – for seasoning
How to make this simple Mediterranean salad
This salad is so simple to toss together! For the full set of directions, please scroll down to the recipe card below:
- Prepare the produce by washing and chopping according to recipe directions (below). Tip: Cut them all roughly the same size so it makes eating it easier!
- Open the chickpeas and rinse and drain them.
- In a large salad bowl, add the chickpeas, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, parsley, feta and onion. Mix all together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator before serving.
How to store leftovers
Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I do not recommend freezing this.
How to serve this to your family
How your kids can help you make this
A cucumber tomato feta salad is a really great recipe to get kids involved with because it’s so simple, and all the steps are easy for kids to help with.
- Kids aged 1-3 can help you squeeze the lemon juice, wash the produce, season with salt and pepper, crumble the feta, and help pick the parsley leaves off the stems.
- Kids aged 4-6 can do everything above plus slice the cucumbers, bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, measure ingredients, whisk the dressing and gently toss the ingredients together.
- Kids aged 7-10+ can help you do everything above, plus help you dice the onion.
*Please note that these recommendations are generalized, and to please use your personal discretion with your child’s skill level. And always, always supervise! Read more about how to have your children help you in the kitchen.
Food tastes better when its shared! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate below! Love and links are always appreciated! If you’d like to share this post, please link to this post directly for the recipe, please do not copy and paste or screenshot. Thanks so much for supporting me! xoxo
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 14.00 oz can chickpea rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 small red onion peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare all the produce.
- Rince and drain the chickpeas.
- In a large salad bowl, add chickpea, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, parsley, feta and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dresing over the salad and toss gently.
- Serve or store in the refrigerator before serving.
Want to save this for later? PIN THIS TO Pinterest!