This decadent and rich chocolate sourdough cake recipe is a showstopping dessert!
Sourdough Chocolate Cake
Can sourdough starter make a good cake?
How to make sourdough chocolate cake
- Mix together the starter, flour and mix and allow the "dough" to ferment for 2 or 3 hors on hte counter. It won't really bubble, but it will expand a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Prepare three 9" cake pans with parchment paper, butter, and flour.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cocoa and espresso powder. The mixture will be grainy and look weird. That is ok!
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Gently combine the flour/starter mixture into the chocolate mixture, stirring until smooth. It will be really goopy at first, but it will smooth out, trust me! It will end up looking like a thick quick bread or thick brownie batter.
- Equally distribute between the 3 prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Allow to cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool to room temperature.
- Frost and enjoy!
Love Sourdough? Check out over 60 great sourdough recipes, including other fun dessert sourdough recipes:
- Sourdough Coffee Cake with Blueberries - This sourdough coffee cake recipe is an easy way to use sourdough discard, and a great way to have breakfast! The subtle sourdough flavor and juicy blueberries combine well in this tender and moist cake.
- Cinnamon Spice Sourdough Biscotti - This lovely spicy biscotti recipe is a fun way to use your sourdough discard!
- Sourdough Beignets - These pillows of doughs have a slight sourdough tang that works perfect here, and the texture is awesome. Pillowy and soft, with a slight chew.
- Sourdough Kolaches - these yeasted thumbprint cookie with pumpkin butter and topped with a streusel are a fun sourdough dessert recipe to make
- White Chocolate Cranberry Sourdough Blondies - This starbucks copycat recipe is a fun winter bar recipe to make with your sourdough starter.
- Mega Chocolate Sourdough Brownies - These sourdough brownies are ultra fudgey, and rich. They are easy and quick to make, so you can enjoy them whenever you have sourdough discard to use. A great recipe to use your sourdough starter!
- 1 cup "fed" sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder, optional
- 2 large eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 (8oz) bricks cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl mix together the starter, milk and flour.
- Cover and allow to sit for 2-3 hours (it won't bubble but will expand a tiny bit).
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Trace 3 cake pan circles onto parchment paper.
- Grease 3- 9" round cake pans with butter, lay a parchment circle in the bottom, grease that and then tap a layer of flour in.
- In a medium bowl, beat together sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cocoa and espresso powder (the mixture will be grainy).
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently combine the chocolate mixture with the starter-flour mixture, stirring until smooth (this will be really goopy at first, but as you continue to beat it, the batter will smooth out).
- Equally distribute the batter among the three cake pans.
- Bake 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto the wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
- Slowly begin adding in the powdered sugar, mixing until all the sugar is added and combined..
- (If the frosting is too thin, add more sugar - if too thick, add a tsp or two of water).
+Note: This cake totally calls for a stand mixer. Don't even attempt to kill your arms by mixing it by hand, or using a hand mixer. Then batter is very thick and strong. Use a stand mixer!+
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 750Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 604mgCarbohydrates: 108gFiber: 2gSugar: 79gProtein: 7g